Here you’ll find a list of services, organisations and charities that are here to help you with your problems.

  • Derbyshire Family Health Service: 01246 515100. Our information and support line for parents, carers and young people is available Monday to Friday, 9am - 4.30pm, except bank holidays. This number is not an emergency service number
  • Text a Derbyshire public health nurse on 07507 330025. This is a confidential text messaging service for young people, providing advice and support from one of our healthcare professionals. Available Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.30pm, except bank holidays
  • Follow us on Instagram @DerbysTeenHealth for advice, tips and information on everything relating to young people in Derbyshire.
  • Public health nurse drop in sessions. All secondary schools hold a public health nurse drop-in. See below for more information.

What is a drop-in?

This is a session in school where you can drop-in and see a member of the public health nurse team and talk about anything that concerns you about your emotional, physical or sexual health.

In most schools you do not need an appointment you just turn up at the venue and wait to be seen. At other schools you may need to make an appointment.

What services are available at a drop-in?

In some secondary schools, drop-ins can also cover:

  • C Scheme: If you’re aged between 13 and 24 you can sign up for the C-Scheme. The scheme gives you access to a choice of free condoms (different sizes, flavours and textures), dams and lube. You can access the service however you identify and whatever your sexual orientation. It doesn't matter whether you’re having sex, thinking about having sex or if you’re just curious
  • Pregnancy testing
  • Chlamydia tests
  • Emergency contraception

How can I make an appointment?

  1. Just drop-in when the drop-ins are running. If it's busy, you may have to wait in a queue
  2. Speak to your school who may make a referral or have a booking system
  3. Text a public health nurse to arrange an appointment on 07507 330025

Is what I say confidential?

Yes, most of the time.

If you're 13 years old or older we don't need to tell anybody we're seeing you, or tell anybody why, if we believe that you are Fraser Competent. This means that we believe you understand the decisions you're making, and possible consequences for these.

If you're under the age of 13 then public health nurses will need to inform your parent/carer that we're seeing you. The exception is if we believe you to be at risk of significant harm or you are posing a risk of significant harm to somebody else. If this was the case we would need to share information with other professionals, however we will always try and tell you first.

A pharmacist can give advice on minor injuries or illnesses, such as infections, cold and flu, travel advice and rashes. They can also prescribe certain medicines including emergency contraception, flu vaccines and emergency supplies of your regular prescriptions

GP surgeries are there for you if you have a health problem, and the NHS website or your pharmacist haven’t been able to help. They can treat many conditions and give health advice. They can also refer you to other NHS services. Find a GP near you to register with.

If you have an urgent but non-life-threatening medical concern, you can get advice from a fully trained adviser at NHS 111 online

Lastly, in the event of a real emergency or life-threatening situation call 999 or visit your nearest A&E.

Your sexual health matters provides free, non-judgemental and confidential advice and support about sexual health and wellbeing including; contraception, emergency contraception, C-Scheme (free condoms and lube), sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment

Brook provides free, confidential sexual health and wellbeing advice.

Immunisation information and advice lines: North Derbyshire: Telephone: 01246 252953 Email:  (Bakewell, Bolsover, Buxton, Chesterfield, Clowne, Clay Cross, Dronfield, Eckington, Glossop, Matlock, New Mills, Shirebrook, South Normanton & Tibshelf)

Immunisation information and advice lines: South Derbyshire: Telephone: 01283 707178 Email: (Alfreton, Ashbourne, Belper, Ripley, Heanor, Ilkeston, Long Eaton, Repton, Swadlincote & Wirksworth)

It is free to visit your dentist for a check-up if you are under 18 years old, or under 19 years old and in full-time education. You can find a dentist local to you, if you don’t already have one

ERIC is a national charity for children and young people with toilet issues

Derbyshire Children's Continence Team: Tel01773 546841

Kooth is an online mental wellbeing support service for young people aged 11+ years old. It’s a free, safe and anonymous space with qualified professionals

Joined Up Care Derbyshire: For looking after yours and your families’ emotional wellbeing

Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.

Childline is a free, private and confidential service where you can talk about anything. Available online, on the phone 0800 1111 24/7. Calls are free and don’t show up on phone bills

Young Minds are a leading charity in supporting young people’s mental health

NHS mental health support for children and young people

Samaritans or call them for free on 116 123 Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Think you know provide advice from the National Crime Agency on online relationships and staying safe

Therapist Aid has lots of activities, worksheets and videos to help you recognise signs of depression, anxiety, stress and other mental health issues, and how to help yourself

The Good Grief Trust is a safe, light-hearted place where you can try and wrap your head around grief, in your own time at your own pace. You can watch videos, read blogs and listen to music from our selected playlists

Derbyshire Talking Therapy is a way to explore your difficulties with a trained professional, sorting through your problems to get some relief from tension, have a safe place to explore how you are feeling, gain a new understanding of your problems and plan what you want to do to overcome them

Calm Harm App is a free app that helps you manage or resist the urge to self-harm

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) ( provide phone and webchat support for those struggling with suicidal thoughts and self-harm urges. Tel: 0800 585858

HOPELINEUK is a charity helpline for young people with suicidal thoughts, which is here for you from 9am to midnight, every day of the year. Call them on 0800 068 4141 text 07860 039967 or email

Get Self-Help provides Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) self-help and therapy resources

Relate offer relationship support for everyone and anyone

Healthy living support

Live Life Better Derbyshire offer free help around feeling fitter, losing weight or quitting smoking and more

The Teen Sleep Hub provide support to help you get the sleep you need

National Sleep Foundation provide an overview of why teens face unique sleep challenges and tips to help them sleep better.

Information for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities: Click here for the Derbyshire Local Offer which helps and supports children & young people with special educational needs and disabilities to be more confident in their communities and live independently.